Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Our journey to the CHA Craft Supershow

As I mentioned, we didn't have a lot of time to decide whether we could pull this trip off. LeeAnn was a busy pre-school teacher as well as working at Costco. She also has two teenagers, and two little ones. We enlisted the teenagers to help do our make-it-take-it projects. For days they used the die cut machine to cut out clear lids for the tiny matchboxes (cut out by me while tending baby Wyatt). In the boxes, we put a l" clear acrylic stamp mount (manufactured by Gary) and 3 mini stamps on HALOS hook tape. I froze up the gears on one die cut machine and actually ended up using my little Zip E Mate for most of the boxes. I "cooked" rubber every day. My rubber was actually "old" and required that I squish it really hard in my vulcanizer, but I was happy not to waste it. Sometimes rubber "cures" just sitting on the shelf for a couple of months.

LeeAnn's family wanted to drive in order to get all the stuff there, and Gary and I wanted to fly because we had free flights, thanks to two daughters who work for Jet Blue. The time to go arrived really fast, and reports of bad weather made us very nervous. We got a report that the airport had closed from flooding. It was too late to ride in the truck because they had already taken off. They hit storms in Cedar City that delayed them hours, arriving at their hotel in Nevada at 2 a.m. Thankfully, we were able to get there the next evening on our flight. As I exited the plane, I noticed David Archuletta in the front seat. No one else even recognized him! I didn't see him again for over a half hour as we waited for each piece of luggage on the completely full flight to be unloaded one by one because of a power failure. He must have gotten tired of waiting for his companions and came looking to see what caused the delay. I couldn't resist telling him how "darn cute" he is, and I'm sure I embarrassed him. I didn't have a camera, but Gary said after I left a lot of people recognized him and he graciously posed for pictures.

It had been 10 years since we exhibited at the big CHA show and while this was not that show for retailers, but a smaller show for the general public, it was still a scary thing and I didn't sleep much. The rain did not stop all night it seemed and continued throughout the entire day, which I'm sure affected the show turnout.

To be continued.........

No comments:

Post a Comment